https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zq7Z_PZQxwy4UbahNdy0s96tiWA0mI9bHDQfFABN8Jk/
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zq7Z_PZQxwy4UbahNdy0s96tiWA0mI9bHDQfFABN8Jk/
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zq7Z_PZQxwy4UbahNdy0s96tiWA0mI9bHDQfFABN8Jk/edit?usp=sharing I have 120 pages of a very rough draft of the thesis, including notes. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13Q8YrXp9S3qbVpUmRztKdaHvaO_Hz52L3mrGU0wyl30/edit?usp=sharing I made a spreadsheet of data including 130 GPS points at 130 berry patches of target species I found in forest. Each berry patch consisted of circular plot of 10 meters diameter which i measured with 2 field tape measures layed out perpendicular. Plot centers chosen based on being at walkable accessible areas (near roads) of forest since I looked at a logging road map layer in Arc Maps. Also have map layer that classifies forest into 7 categories based on the "dominant overstory tree species out of 4 species" and the "logging history based on 3 types: unlogged, clearcut, and thinned." I used Arcmap random # generator to place roughly equal # of samples in each of the 7 categories at random GPS locations within those 7 categorical areas in forest. Used Garmin GPS to walk to each randomly generated GPS location and looked for the target species; at each random GPS location i looked within 30 meters for an individual shrub of the target species that had the most berries of any of the target species shrubs within 30 m of that randomly generated GPS point since that might be how indigenous berry pickers would find shrubs to harvest berries from as that who I want to inform: local indigenous berry pickers. If no target species with a stem length over 3 meters (since shorter shrubs seemed immature) were within 30 m of that random GPS point I noted a zero. For each of the 130 different berry patches I made a row in spreadsheet. For each of the 12 different traits I recorded for each plot (including dominant overstory tree species and logging history from the map layers) I made a column in the spreadsheet where I recorded for each of the 130 berry patches a quantitative count or a qualitative value based on the 12 different traits that I recorded to see if any could explain the quantity of berries per shrub including: berry productivity score of 1, 2 or 3 based on # of berries on the single target shrub species at the center of each of the 100 plots (Berries per plant, 0= 0, 1=50); a quantity from 0-100 for slope of the land, a categorical # from 1-360 representing aspect of the land, a quantity from 1-100% for canopy openness indicating the % of the canopy above plot center that is open based on 4 different densiometer readings facing in each of the cardinal directions while standing at the plot centers, the quantity of shrubs of the target species per berry patch aka within the 10 meter diameter plot, the mean length of longest stem to 0.1 meters for the target shrub species in the plots since I measured the longest stem of each shrub in each plot for the 130 plots using field tape measure, the mean diameter of each overstory tree species in plots since i measured the diameter at breast height of the trees and recorded the tree's species (for trees with a diameter more than 10 centimeters at breast height using a Biltmore stick for trees within the 10 meter diameter plots), the quantity from 0-100% of the ground cover for each plant species within the 10 meter diameter plot: broke-up circular plot into 4 quarters by laying out tape measures that cross at plot center for each plant species, woody debris & leaf litter; quantity of nodes aka branch points or points where branch broke off on that longest stem of the target species at the plot center; and the quantity of stems of the target species of that individual shrub at the plot centers. I have 170 citations about the topic from online sources and from hard copy books and government research papers. The topics include: berry producing wild shrub, traits about that shrub, traits about the forest the shrub lives in, indigenous tribe's knowledge about the wild shrub, the location of 100 of the shrubs, traits of those 130 shrubs, and traits of the forest where those 130 shrubs are at. I wanted to find which shrub traits and which forest traits align with the plots with most berries, longest stem & quantity of shrubs of target species through data organizing. Very basic statistics in R could be used to show if target species traits correlated w/ other traits. Also if literature explained traits I recorded influencing berries per shrub, stem length, or shrub quantity. Also wanted to include local indigenous tribe's perspective on the edible berry producing shrub species as I'm indigenous myself from the tribe and the shrub's berries have historically been a source of food for the tribe. So the forest that I sampled the 100 shrubs at is close to the historical and contemporary communities of the tribal people although the forest is currently under US Forest Service (USFS) ownership the USFS wants the tribe to be able to co-manage the forest and have tribal people gather plants there like berries.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.